Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fish market.....and other sights

After my morning adventures, food was becoming a priority on the list of things to discover........and since I am on an island and was currently on the coastline, it seemed a reasonable conclusion there would be seafood nearby.

I continued my adventure ending up at the Kadena Marina and lucked into a shopping center.  It's hard to know exactly what you might be getting into since the signs are Japanese so going into places is a game all of its own.  This one was a great find though - a fresh fish market where the food was all caught, apparently that day!  They were finishing up the butchering of a beautiful tuna (I will be going back again earlier in the day just to watch!) however there were still a wide array of extremely fresh fish offerings at the market.


This Napoleon fish saw his last day today.....it was a little sad for me because these are beautiful fish underwater.......but someone has to be dinner!  I was a little surprised at how vibrate the colors are, the picture doesn't quite do it justice but the fish is a beautiful iridescent turquoise color.



This is just a small sampling of the fish that were available at the market, along with squid, octopus, live slipper lobsters, prawns and sea snakes.  The sea snakes were live in a tank....the kids at the market were all fascinated by them so I wasn't able to get a picture because there were kids all gathered around the tank.....just as well because sea snakes give me the creeps ANYWHERE I happen to see them!


What would a visit to the fish market be without fresh fish for lunch?  This was the tuna bowl special - for $8.00 I got fresh tuna sashimi, sticky rice, sunomo salad and soba noodles in miso....YUMMY!!!!!  There were lots of bowl choices and for anyone who didn't want their seafood raw, half of the fish market sold prepared foods included freshly fired fish, tempura, seafood salads, etc.  This may be my new favorite place for weekend lunch.....until I find the next place!

After the day of adventures, it was a quiet evening at home.  I decided to run down the street to the grocery store to grab something for dinner....and on my way back home found this......




This is the BIGGEST snail I've ever seen....that's my phone on the ground next to it - I needed something to give perspective to the size.  It was huge....and I will be watching the ground and where I put my feet from now on!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment