Saturday, June 9, 2012

Saturday morning adventure - on base

OK, I'm getting braver and ventured out and about on Saturday morning.  First stop - the base exchange for some supplies and the commissary for basic provisions (like coffee, coffee creamer, peanut butter, etc).  It's funny how much we take for granted in our homes when it comes to the basics of life.  It's only when you really need a Kleenex that you realize you don't have any!

I had my first episode of "wrong side driving" when I turned on the Kadena AFB roads.  They apparently made the roads "super sized" for the incoming (i.e.; inexperienced) drivers and, because of that, I was driving on the "wrong" side.  Luckily I realized my mistake before I got too far down the road!

This the Kadena base exchange.  For anyone familiar with BX's - you will appreciate the size.  For those of you unfamiliar with military base exchanges - they are a WONDERFUL place.  This one is reportedly the largest in the overseas installations and it is HUGE.  Think of the best of every department store you've ever been in and you have an idea of what it's like.  They have some AMAZING sale items - yesterday I scored a brand new pair of Asics gym shoes - on clearance - for $10!  I can see this is a dangerous place to spend too much time in unless I'm suddenly rolling in money......
The sheer variety of things you can find at the exchange is bizarre.  The downstairs is all kiosks for local items (think souvenirs and strange "junk").  There is also a large food court with all the familiar mall food choices.  There is nothing like the comfort of familiar junk food to restore your sense of balance!
I felt a whole lot more at home after a Taco Bell lunch - yes, double-decker tacos really are an international delight!
The strangest thing, for me, is that you truly can purchase EVERYTHING at the BX, including a new car, LOL!
The "new car lot" is on the far left, LOL, complete with the typical car lot banners and flags!

After I had the basics I needed from the exchange, it was on to the grocery store.  The commissary is just like any other grocery store - except a lot bigger!  All of the "familiar" brands are here.  I can see how people who aren't especially adventuresome might be tempted to do all their grocery shopping here rather than in the local Japanese markets - it's a lot easier to figure out what you're buying when you can read the label!  One thing that is MUCH less expensive in the commissary are the fruits and vegetables.  Okinawa is a typical island and much of the goods are imported which increases the price dramatically.  Pineapples run close to $12 (American) in the local markets yet are priced around $2-3 in the commissary.
"American" grocery store on base.  Kadena is reported to have the best (i.e.; largest) exchange and commissary here.  Apparently the Air Force has more government funding or something?  I will investigate Camp Foster next time just to compare the choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment