Saturday, June 9, 2012

Saturday afternoon in town

So, now that I've survived my morning, I'm feeling REALLY good about my ability to navigate and I decided to venture forth to try and find the house of my co-worker Dewitt.  Now mind you, I've only been to his place one time prior and it was something of a whirl-wind tour so, while I have a "general" idea of where he lives, I'm not completely convinced I can find it on my own!  I know if I head STRAIGHT down the main road that runs in front of my house, I theoretically should find his place.  So off I go.........

I make it down the road, it's a total of about a mile, maybe 1 1/2 miles, which takes close to 20 minutes thanks to the sheer volume of traffic.  And, have I mentioned it's political season here in Okinawa, so all day (and night) the candidates are out on the streets WITH their loudspeakers??!?!  Yes, there was a candidates "bus" in front of me, crawling through the street at a snail's pace spreading the word on why Japanese voters should elect him/her.  (At least I assume that was what was being broadcast through the speakers, LOL!)

Once I get in the area that seems familiar, I wisely park in the largest parking garage I can find.  It's a 3-4 story parking garage, on top of yet another shopping/grocery/tourist souvenir mecca.  I "mark" my spot carefully and venture out.  It was quite a surprise to myself I managed to find Dewitt's place, after only several turns, twists, and side streets.  It helped that he has mentioned the very busy "night market" that is just across the street from him place.  The night market looks like a crazy version of "park and swap"....complete with weird unwanted junk from people's closets!  According to him, it's quite the "happening" place to be, late at night!




When I get to Dewitt's front door, of course he is NOT home.  I decide to leave a note, including my new Japanese phone number.  A quick search of the very small bag I'm carrying....OK, I find a receipt that I can use as note paper.  Search the bag again.....do I have a pen? - of course NOT!!  I do, however, have a tube of lip gloss!  Yes, female ingenuity to the rescue - I carefully use my lip gloss applicator to etch my name and number out in a delightful shade of Gossip pink and wedge it into the mail slot.  (I'm sorry I didn't think to take a picture!) ((Note to self - PLEASE remember to stock bag with note paper and pen....I really like that lip gloss and would prefer to use it on my lips rather than as a writing instrument!))

After leaving my note, I decide to explore the neighborhood a bit and discover a lovely actual BEACH just across the street.  There is a large park area complete with numerous ramadas that can be reserved for picnics and finally the sandy beach I was looking for!  The beach is Ahara beach and it was beautiful - especially since it was a rare sunny day!
This is the view from the seawall - it was fairly late in the afternoon so it wasn't as crowded as I think it may be during peak times.


Proof of my feet in South Pacific waters - its a bit chilly!

The park includes a amphitheater - this the view from the top looking out to the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment