Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sunday at the beach

The previous typhoons that have been stirring up the weather seem to have abated for the time being - which means it's HOT and SUNNY!  As soon as the sun comes out, the temperature feels like it goes up an extra 10 degrees....now, I know I'm from Arizona and used to the heat, but when you add in 70%+ humidity - it's pretty nasty!

Sunday was another bright shiny day and the only reasonable thing to do was find a beach!  I loaded my bag with towel, sunscreen and a big bottle of water - and off in search of a beach I went.....


Okinawa is an island, so you'd think there would be lots of beaches but some of them are a little hard to find.  There are lots of reefs, rocks and seawalls but sandy beaches are not a common as I would like.  The beach I found was by the Kadena Marina.  By the time I arrived, quite a few families had staked claim to much of the small sandy beach but I was able to settle myself on a patch of pebbly sand and enjoy the sun, breeze and water for a few hours.  It was a great day - a few too many kids but, all in all, it was a great few hours in the sun!

As I was laying in the sun, I was surprised to hear the roar of motorcycles in the air....
 I had managed to find myself on a beach that was hosting a Okinawa Harley riders rally!
I talked to a couple of the riders and found out they were ending a ride that included a poker run to the far end of the island.  He told me they generally ride in groups or organized runs due to the unpredicatability of the drivers on Japanese roads.




It's difficult to tell from the angle of the picture but the bikes were lines up all along the side of the road- all together there was close to 30 bikes, a surprising number given the small size of the island!

Following my beach adventure, later that evening, I took a walk along the seawall.  I was greatly amused when I passed a shop that doubled as a nail salon AND a bar - now that is truly a one-stop shop!


$$ ok - Yen or dollars, it's all good here for whatever you're buying - nail services or cocktails!


I ended the day at my new favorite bar, Sidelines - the second floor balcony was a fabulous spot to watch the tide come back in and unwind from the day- one beer was good, two were excellent!!  And the best part is this place is within walking distance of my place - absolutely no reason not to spend an afternoon or two!  The legal limit for drinking and driving here is 0.03% - which equates to less than one drink.....it's just not worth it to even consider having a drink and driving so my drinking will be at home or anywhere I can walk to/from!
CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment