Friday, June 22, 2012

Okinawa orchids

I'm not especially a fan of orchids as a flower - they look suspiciously fake to me, even when they are real!  However, I know many people, including my uncle Bill, have struggled to grow orchids in locations and climates other than the tropics.  Most have been unsuccessful in their endeavours.  I was a little bit surprised when I started to notice the orchids growing profusely throughout the neighborhoods here - silly when I stopped to consider that this IS a tropical island,   This is a collection of random orchid pictures I've taken so.....they're starting to grow on me as a flower, LOL!

This was growing in front of a store on one of the main roads- it is exposed to car exhaust all day long - with no apparent ill effects!


The local hardware store sells orchids in its garden section!


Another random sighting as I walked down a side street in a nearby neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures. I personally love orchids. They are just so hard to grow here in the states! Miss you! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orchids are growing on me as pretty flowers....I need to take pictures of all of the gorgeous flowers that are here...funny how humidity makes for beauty! I'm sure Arizona will look just a bit barren when I finally get home!

    ReplyDelete